Friday 13 April 2012

Police beat woman to pulp at bank in Kano

                                        

Daily Trust has reportde that mobile police guarding a bank along Zoo Road has beaten up a woman customer to pulp for boarding a commercial tricycle near the bank. Madina Shehu, 31, was beaten and harassed by the policemen guarding the bank when she went to withdraw some money from an ATM machine yesterday.
Unable to withdraw the money for lack of service, Madina decided to leave by boarding a tricycle near the bank’s parking lot, an action which the police were not comfortable with.

Narrating her ordeal, Madina said, “I was just about to board a tricycle near the parking place at the bank when suddenly a mobile police from the bank rushed to the place and started hitting the vehicle saying was that where I was supposed to board the tricycle.

“I told him we didn’t know it is not allowed to take a taxi there and by the way I was coming from the bank, adding that he should have just told us to move without damaging the vehicle’s lights. As I was saying this, another mobile police just came running towards us from the bank showering abuses on me and as he reached the place he started slapping me and abusing me at the same time,” the victim said.

She also said as he continued to slap her, she remained standing while people were advising her to run away, saying as she could not run away, the policeman just cocked his gun saying he was going to shoot her.
“After slapping me the man just cocked his gun and aimed at me saying he was going to kill me. He said my mother should give birth to another child, showering more abusive words on me.”
According to her, it was another mobile police from the bank that waded into the terrible situation, pulling his colleague away from her.

Corroborating what Madina had said, the driver of the tricycle, Wasiu Sanusi, said he was so scared that he had to run for his life when he saw the police trying to shoot the lady. He said his vehicle was vandalized by the security men. When contacted, Kano Police Command’s public relations officer, ASP Magaji Musa Majiya, advised the victim to lodge a complain with the divisional police office where the bank is located.

No comments:

Post a Comment