Wednesday 29 August 2012

Why I Could Not Fix The Power Sector During My Time As President - Obasanjo

                                                      

Curled from Vnguard newspaper reports

According to Obasanjo, oil companies in Nigeria refused to contribute towards addressing the power problem, except for only one of them, Agip.
He said: “During my time as a military president, my major aim was forging a united country and a self-reliant economy. I later realised that we can only achieve that with a constitution. When I came back to power 20
 years after, I also pursued the agenda of uniting Nigeria and building a self-reliant economy. I can say we achieved all that.
”However, my regret is that we did not address the power issue in the country before we left. This is mainly because of the absence of funds at that time. If the country had money at the early stage of my presidency, we would have fixed the power.
“The country’s earning was low when we came to power; crude oil was selling at about $18 – $20 per barrel. When our earning started improving, we then started the Independent Power Projects, IPP.
“The oil companies abandoned Nigeria in our drive towards addressing the power problem. They did not do what they were supposed to do in that regard. Only one oil company, Agip, supported the country”.

No comments:

Post a Comment