Wednesday 29 August 2012

"Why I Resigned As Power Minister" - Barth Nnaji

                                       

Following various insinuations about his exit from the Goodluck Jonathan's cabinet as the Minister for Power in Nigeria, Former Power Minister has come out to clear the air about issues that surrounds his exit. He stated that he resigned and that he was not sacked, he further gave reason why he resigned and part of the reasons was that he did not want his integrity to be dragged in the mud. In his words, “I feel particularly proud of the fact that my exit comes at a time that the administration has been able to generate and supply an unprecedented quantum of steady, reliable electric power in the history of our nation.
“I am confident enough to allow history and the Nigerian people to judge my performance on the task that I accepted from the President,” he said.

“This resignation is also to ensure that there is no spillover of these attacks to the President who is working very hard to transform the nation,” “The Blind Trust means that I was not privy to the day-to-day business decisions of those who ran this Trust,” he said.
“In addition, I publicly declared the participation in the privatization process of a foreign company that did business with a company that I had interest in.
“This fact came to my knowledge only during the course of evaluating the consortia that were bidding for PHCN successor companies. Consequently, I also voluntarily excused myself from participating in the selection process. These actions, I should think, are in line with the finest traditions of transparency and accountability in governance,”

The former minister further explained that he resigned his position as director of every business entities he had stake in before he became the country's Minister for Power, and that his shares in all those companies were transferred to a Blind Trust, where he is not involved in the day to day running of the businesses.

1 comment:

  1. Good job man. He put hime signature into successes of electricity development in Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete